December 21st marked Winter Solstice…the shortest day of the year. It’s also the day that marks the beginning of winter…a season of cold, bitterly dry weather. Those elements are not exactly your hair’s best friend. Couple that with indoor heating, scarves and hats and your hair may be left feeling brittle and damaged this season. So, now is the time to get your hair ready for the winter with these 10 helpful tips.
- Line your winter hat. If you are a hat person in the winter, take the time to line the inside with a satin or silk scarf. You can even be cute with it by buying a scarf with prints or colors that match your hat…just in case it peeks out from underneath. You can even buy a silk or satin bonnet from any beauty supply store. Also, don’t forget to sleep on your satin or silk pillow case. That is a must every night!
- Co-wash more often. If you hair type can stand it, opt for more co-washing sessions, instead of shampoo. Your hair is gonna need the extra added moisture and protection from the drying ingredients in your typical shampoo.
- Essential oils such as ylang ylang, bergamot, and lemongrass, helps open the hair cuticle so the moisture can be absorbed. Argan Oil is a great product to use during cold spells because it instantly moisturizes your hair. Apply a little bit to damp hair after rinsing.
- Deep or steam conditioning sessions should be incorporated into your weekly routine. Make this a priority. For extra added benefits, warm two teaspoons of olive, coconut or shea oil and rub it into your scalp. This will help to prevent a dry itchy scalp as well as dandruff.
- Limit blowdryers, flat and curling irons as much as you can. Experiment with more protective hair styles like buns, twists or braids. Be creative and fun with it. Here are hundreds of great protective styles: https://www.pinterest.com/explore/protective-hairstyles/
- Drink up! On water that is! You should be drinking at least HALF your body weight in water every day. This will keep your scalp nourished and keep your hair from getting dry.
- Get regular trims. Winter is not the time to skip out on trimming those split ends!
- Incorporate more Omega-3 fish oils into your diet. This keeps your hair and scalp healthy and also helps to protect against hair thinning. Some good sources of Omega-3: Sardines, Salmon, Albacore Tuna and Anchovies. Or simply take Omega-3 fish oil capsules first thing every morning (with your water).
- Use a humidifier in your bedroom to add moisture to your air (and hair) while you sleep.
- Read your product labels. Stay away from drying alcohols and opt for B5 and panthenol in your hair products instead, which smooth the hair shaft. Welcome to Winter!
CurlMatch is a new, innovative mobile app that matches your unique hair texture and type to a list of recommended hair products. CurlMatch is for people with wavy hair,curly hair, kinky hair straight hair and natural hair. Your best hair day is just a click away (www.curlmatch.com).
Download CurlMatch on the App Store or at Google Play.