A long, hot summer means plenty of good Vitamin D for your skin and hair. While you take the time to lather on tons of sunblock and sunscreen for your hair, what type of preparation goes into to caring for you hair during the summer months. There are some things you can do to protect your tresses this summer and it’s never too late to start.
Go DEEP! Take the time to deep condition. This is especially important during the summer months. Every other week a apply a hot oil, hair mask or deep cream conditioner to your hair and sit with under a hooded dryer or a hot towel for at least 15 to 20 minutes. Make sure to massage your scalp and apply the conditioner to your ends. Your hair will thank you for it!
Protect Yourself. Consider protective styling for your hair. Rock a bun, ponytail, an up-do, twists or braids during those hot and dry days. Give you hair a break from the harsh, dry elements of a hot summer day.
3. Spritz Yourself. If you plan to be out in the sun for an extended period of time, bring a water bottle filled with 2 to 3 parts water and 1 to 2 part conditioner. Squirt the moisturizing solution in your hair every 30 minutes or so to lay a protective layer over your hair.
4. Clarify Yourself. After a day in the pool or the ocean, use a clarifying shampoo to remove the salt and chlorine from your hair. They can be particularly drying to your hair. But if you aren’t spending a lot of time at the pool or beach, co-washing your hair will suffice.
5. Skip the heat. Instead of breaking out that curling iron, experiment with two strand twists, perm rods or pin curls to add some curls to your hair. You can Google tons of tutorials that will show you how to do this. There are lots of ways your can add lift and volume to your hair without heat.
6. Don’t forget the sunscreen. While you are layering your body with sunscreen, don’t forget to include your hair. Mix some sunscreen with water and add it to your favorite leave in conditioner for a protective barrier against the hot, sun rays.
7. Cover it up! Put on a cute straw hat, cap or even a colorful scarf. That’s multi-tasking at its finest. You can protect your hair and look cute at the same time!
8. Detangle with care. Never detangle your hair with a brush or a fine tooth comb. Use a wide tooth, durable comb to detangle your hair and comb out those knots. Remember to start at the ends…and work you way up carefully to your roots.
9. Air dry when possible. Take advantage of the wind and warm temperatures to dry your hair WITHOUT a blow dryer whenever possible. Let the elements do the work for you. It will be a lot less stressful on your hair…and free you up to do other things.
10. Drink up! Water…that is! Hydrate your hair from the inside with at least 64 oz of water on a daily basis. It’s not only refreshing on a hot summer day but it also prevents you AND you hair from becoming dehydrated…which leads to breakage and split ends.
Enjoy the rest of your summer!
CurlMatch is a new, innovative #mobileapp for #wavyhair #curlyhair, #kinkyhair #straighthair and #naturalhair. Your best hair day is just a click away. Download us on the app store: itunes.apple.com/us/app/curlmatch/id1113667647?mt=8